Wednesday, October 28, 2009

If It Was Easy, Anybody Could Do It

Several of you have asked,"How's it going at school?" Remarkably well! We started on the sewing machine this week. They are really taking to it. They are AMAZED that with much perseverance they can actually sew a perfectly straight line. In fact, they have to sew 10 perfect lines before they can move on to turning corners. I'm such the perfectionist when it comes to learning to do it RIGHT. It pays off as the semester goes on.

I start off the week by telling them that they must learn to identify the parts of the sewing machine. How fun is that you ask? NONE! I then proceed to make the analogy of learning to drive a car. You must know the basic parts, and what they do before you can really drive-you know like the brakes, gas pedal, steering wheel, ignition, etc.

I tell them with great dramatics about my first time behind the wheel. My mother told my father that it was HIS turn to teach a child to drive. She had taught my 3 older brothers, so he had the dubious honor of teaching me. I was eager to go with him the next Saturday morning.
We went on a very rarely used road that was about a half mile long. I was exhilarated, but scared. When he told me to start the car, I turned the key and held it forever (it seemed). No, that wasn't right. I was supposed to turn the key until the motor turned over and LET GO. Oh. Ok. I got that. Next he told me to put the car in drive and head down the road. "How hard do I push down the gas pedal? How much do I turn the steering wheel to make the car turn where it should go?" On and on-you get the picture. After a few successful runs up and down the street, Daddy said, "OK, now you can learn to park." PARK?! No way was I able to do that. Daddy!
He insisted, "Look all you have to do is pull straight in. It's not like parallel parking Just pull straight in to beside that car." Gulp! As I headed into the space he said , "You're turning too sharp. Just put on the brake and back up. Then try again." Being the ever obedient daughter, I pushed hard - on the GAS!! I ran straight into the MAYOR'S car. Smashed his back door. Daddy said, "Wait here. I'll go handle this." He got back in the car and drove us home. I don't recall him ever mentioning it again. Somehow, I think he had had enough of teaching. The next week I had to opportunity to be enrolled in a driving school in Birmingham. Every lesson I took was in the 5 pm traffic, in the rain.

If I can learn to drive, I believe my students can learn to sew.




2 comments:

Karen said...

This takes me back to my old Home Ec classes. I clearly remember I had to sew a line, straight and squiggly on a piece of paper! I can't remember the first thing we sewed, maybe one of those A-line skirts with a zipper in the back and a waistband. I hated putting in zippers!tithe

LAsyoung said...

How have I never heard that great story?! Thanks for sharing it :-).