Sunday, October 18, 2009

The Next Step


After the diagnosis, the really hard part came. I had to tell people. Like my husband and children type of people. Oh, gulp! How? I told Bill that evening. He was startled by the news, but in typical engineer style he said, "OK, Let's go see the doctor and see what to do to fix this." Does that sound like a man or what?

Harder still was calling my children. How do you pick up the phone and say "Guess what, I have cancer." I haven't found any good way to call with dreadful news. But, they HAD to know-and soon. They all reacted as I suspected. Each, in their own way, assured me of their love and concern. Each assured me of earnest prayer.

Next, I had to call my mother. At the time, she was caring for her husband, Bud who had had a debilitating stroke. She had her hands more than full caring for him. She had cared for my Daddy as he died of lung cancer. She had watched her mother-in-law and sister-in-law die of breast cancer. How could I do this to her? It was a gut wrenching call. Poor mama. She wanted to be with me-her only daughter, and she needed to be with Bud.

No comments: