Monday, October 26, 2009

The Escape




Without my knowledge Bill called and made a reservation for us at the Marriott Shoals Friday night. We drove to Florence and roamed around a bit. Of course, we went over to the Robert Trent Jones golf course and went through the clubhouse. Then we went to this beautiful hotel. What a treat! That night we went into Florence to eat. We had a fabulous meal at a bustling Italian Cafe.

I have many memories of Florence from my childhood. I spent time there at my grandparents home all growing up. It felt like a walk down memory row. We went by my grandparents old home and I picked up a few pecans from the ground and ate them in memory of Andy, my grandfather. I remember many an afternoon sitting on the front porch swing, shelling butter beans and black-eyed peas. Andy was an organic gardener extraordinaire.

One of the more interesting highlights of our brief trip was the Renaissance Fair. I'm just going to level with you. There were some weird looking folks there. Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb-that would have been Bill and me! In truth, they may have thought we were the weird ones.

4 comments:

LAsyoung said...

When I first saw the pics I thought you'd gone to Scotland to a Braveheart festival!
I never know Florence had a Renaissance Fair- how interesting.
What a great idea, William! Very thoughtful. xo

Mary said...

Way to go dad!

Jen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

Haha, well I would have enjoyed it ---