Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Sensitivity Abounds in the Middle School Heart

Monday was the day to tell my students at school The News of my cancer. I had it all planned out. Just like last time. I wore my pink ribbon lapel pin to school and started out my talks with them by asking if they knew what it stood for. I was somewhat surprised that several in every class knew.

I went on to tell them that Friday I had been diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. I told them that I didn't have a complete evaluation yet, but it should come Thursday. Then I went on to explain how I can have peace even in this dire circumstance. It's my faith in a sovereign God.
I read Jeremiah 29:11
"For I know the plans I have for you declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future."

Next I read Psalm 139:15-17
"My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
How precious to me are your thoughts O God! How vast is the sum of them!"

Last of all I read Romans 8:28
"For we know that God causes all things to work together for the good of those who love Him, to those who have been called according to his purpose."

My hope was to let them see that I can have peace when I have a God like that. My ultimate future and hope is to be in heaven- which will be GREAT. However, I wouldn't mind so much if it came later! God is not surprised by this. His timing is perfect.

OK, the funny part of this is, each time I was in the midst of telling this story a student would interrupt and say, "Who's our substitute gonna be?" Middle schoolers. Your got to love them.

1 comment:

Mama Ann & LA said...

Mary- I just read this to Mama Ann through wet eyes, but when we got to the middle school question we both howled out loud. Gotta love em- they are so in the moment!