Thursday, January 7, 2010

All the News

Today started out slowly. I had no appointments. There was nothing scheduled to do. I had been told that I would have genetic counseling at some point. However, when I checked my appointment schedule on the MD Anderson website nothing was there. I called the scheduler about 10:00 and she confirmed-nothing today. She called back about 10 minutes later and said , if you can come now you can have your genetic counseling. Yikes! Neither Bill nor I had taken a bath or dressed. Can you say hustle really fast?

We got there and were ushered in. We met with the counsellor for almost 2 hours. I had blood work and will get the results in about 3 weeks. The next option that we considered was storing my DNA. It could prove helpful for me, my daughters, or nieces if the need for such information should ever arise. I don't often think of bargains and health care in the same breath. However, this is an exception. It's only $103. for DNA storage for 10 years. What a deal!

After all of this we went back to my scheduler. She said I was scheduled for my last appointment next Monday at 5:30pm. UGH!!! That would four days of nothing. We were certainly willing to wait, but hated to at the same time. We begged for mercy. Finally at 3:30 we were told that if we were willing to wait that the doctor would try to work us in. We were more than willing. At 6:50 we were called back! By this point the lights in the aquarium were turned off. The carpet cleaner had been through the department. Lights were off in schedulers offices and at check-in desks. We were the last people around-for a while.

You'd have thought that he had been waiting all day for us. Dr. Valero had already seen 23 patients that day. He was through, patient, and encouraging. That's a great combination in my book! He told me my blood work looked perfect. Yea! Then he showed us on his computer a comparison of my PET scan from October and the one from this Wednesday. With them side by side you could see a noticeable shrinkage in all four tumors! Praise the Lord! That was much better news than I expected. (The Hallelujah Chorus just started playing on NPR as I began typing this! Amen.) We are still awaiting results of a blood test that takes a few days to complete. It's an important one, he said. It will tell if the cancer cells are circulating in my blood or if they are just in my tumors. I'd never even heard of such a test. I'll probably hear about it by Tuesday at the latest.

This may be WAY more detail than you ever wanted to know. I had hoped to blog more frequently, but just couldn't make myself do it. The week has had it's highs and lows. God has been faithful the whole time.

My husband has been a wonder to behold. He's an amazing man. I couldn't imagine one better.
Yesterday was my rough day. He was there encouraging, being quiet, trying to kid around- whatever he felt like would help me. I had to fast most of the day. I had blood work at 11:30 and at 12:30 I started the process for my PET Scan. That was way too many sticks for one day in my book. I felt faint. I felty nausous. I had a low grade migraine that I couldn't take medicine for. We arrived at our hotel about 4pm and I was grumpy and yuk and still hadn't had anything to eat. All I wanted was a nap. After migraine medicine and a two hour nap I felt like a new person. We went out to eat at a great Greek restaurant and had a delicious, relaxing meal. When we got home he collasped on the bed and said "Life just doesn't get any better than this." I started laughing so hard I nearly fell off the bed. What a guy!

I have some great pictures, but unable to load them here. Later.

Your prayers and encouragement have meant so much. Thank you!!!!!

4 comments:

MRH said...

Oh, Mary---sounds like your positive anticipation for the trip to Texas was well-founded!!! I'm so happy about the tumor shrinkage and think that sounds huge! I'm glad you had them work you in, also, b/c four days must seem like a month out there, even if there are great Greek restaurants. Thinking about you----and keep the good news coming.
Love, Melinda

Kathy Nolen said...

Thanks for the update. I have been praying all week and so anxious to hear how things were going. I am thankful you were able to go, for the good news, and for your sweet husband to support you!
Love and prayers,
Kathy

Pam said...

Mary,

Thanks for the update with the good news. I have been praying for you daily. It was so good to talk with Mary Beth during the Christmas break. You and Bill are so lucky to have 4 wonderful daughters and sons in law not to mention your precious grandchildren. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Love,
Pam

lasyoung said...

Another great report ! I love the details. It was so good to hear the news of tumor shrinkage. Laughter does a world of good, so I'm glad you & Wm can find humor anywhere anytime :-)! xo